At Mabe School we teach reading and promote a love of reading in EYFS and KS1 through:
- A rigorous daily approach to teaching phonics through Read Write Inc.
- Storybooks and Book Bag Books closely matched to the sounds children know to ensure early success
- Daily story time for enjoyment
- Teaching of rhymes and oral story telling to develop language and vocabulary
- Working closely with parents through reading workshops, home readers (RWI) and sharing books.
- Whole class guided reading sessions in KS1
Click below for the parents guide to accelerated reader.
Reading at home not only supports the children’s progress and development but it also strengthens the bond with adults at home who are invested in listening and talking to their children about their book of choice.
To help support your child with reading at home, please click on the documents below.
Year 1 - Parent Reading Guide
Year 2 - Parent Reading Guide
Year 3 - Parent Reading Guide
Year 4 - Parent Reading Guide
Year 5 - Parent Reading Guide
Year 6 - Parent Reading Guide
Recommended books for Foundation stage - Mabe
Recommended books for Year 1 - Mabe
Recommended books for Year 2 - Mabe
Recommended books for Year 3 - Mabe
Recommended books for Year 4 - Mabe
Recommended books for Year 5 - Mabe
Recommended books for Year 6 - Mabe
Take a look at how we are developing a love of Reading!
World Book day is an important day in our school calendar with lots of reading based activities taking place in the classrooms. To make it even more memorable, we invited grandparents in to school for a reading afternoon with their grandchildren. It was a fantastic opportunity to share a love of reading.